Magnificent Magnolias blooming in Great Windsor Park in Spring offer a spectacular sight.
The Valley Gardens, together with The Savill Garden, provide a home to a National Collection of Magnolia trees. Here are some examples:
- On leaving the Savill building, visitors are welcomed to a fantastic show by a mature Magnolia loebneri ‘Merrill’, covered in ice-white flowers.
- In a far corner of the garden, close to the summer house, is a Magnolia sprengeri ‘Eric Savill’, with large, bold pink flowers.
- The Valley Gardens features a glorious collection of rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias and magnolias, best viewed in the spring from the top of the valley, with views down to Virginia Water.
The magnolia family can count approx 200 species mainly found in two regions:
- Asia, and
- the Americas.
The Magnolia tree was named after Pierre Magnol, the French botanist behind the current nomenclature of botanical classification.
Magnificent Magnolias are significant flowers in Chinese and Japanese culture, and has been cultivated for centuries.
The ‘Magnolia Virginiana’ species (from Virginia) was the first Magnolia to be introduced into Europe. In 1687, it was sent across John Banister, an English missionary and naturalist, to Henry Compton, English bishop and a passionate gardener.
Shortly afterwards, Europe was introduced to Chinese Magnolias (Magnolia Denudata and Liliflora).
In the middle of the nineteenth century, the beautiful Star Magnolia (Stellata) from Japan was planted in Europe.
The “queen of Magnolias”, the pink Magnolia Campbellii from the Himalaya, was discovered at the beginning of the last century.
Magnificent Magnolias in Perfumery
Magnolia flowers (Magnolia Grandiflora) frequently have a fragrance. Their perfume is creamy sweet with hints of citrus. Magnolia is a popular ingredient in floral perfume accords, and there have been some fragrances where Magnolia is the main floral ingredient.
‘Magnolias in Bloom’ by PAIRFUM
Here at PAIRFUM we are proud to have captured the essence of Magnolias in our fragrance ‘magnolias in bloom’:
A spring flowers accord with the fresh top note of ozone, soft white flower petals and a hint of watery melon. The heart is complex and floral with magnolia, lily, geranium, rose and violet, while the base shines with musks and warm rosewood.
‘Magnolias in Bloom’ is available in the following luxury scented candles and natural reed diffusers:
- Reed Diffusers (petite, classic and large size and in the bell, cube and tower shapes)
- Reed Diffuser refill oil
- Snow Crystal Candles (classic, large and tin)
- Flower Wax Candle
- Message Candle
- Room Sprays
- Linen & Fabric Perfume