We are often asked: What is Niche Perfume? So, … we decided to share with you our Top 10 Things that define a niche fragrance.
You are not alone, as we receive emails regularly from people wanting to understand what we or others mean when they use these terms.
There are specific elements that define a niche fragrance and set it apart from the Mass Market Brands we are accustomed to from Couture Houses and Designer Labels.
Although, when you define a niche fragrance, these lines become sometimes blurred when large worldwide brands describe their offerings as ‘Niche’ or introduce ‘Private Collections’. The fact that a product is available at every Airport, in every retailer and on every High Street worldwide would by definition exclude it from being considered a Niche Creation.
We equally believe a Niche Fragrance House that is owned by a global corporation no longer qualifies as being Niche. The list is long of these small perfumery houses that were bought-out. Examples are Jo Malone, Creed, Frederic Malle, L’Artisan Parfumeur, … It is not easy to spot these ‘Niche Wannabees’.
So when looking for a genuine Niche or Artisan Fragrance, the list below will help you to separate the true Niche from the ‘Niche Wannabee’
Well the following are our Top 10 Things that Define a Niche Fragrance:
- A Perfume House, founded by a Perfumer who’s wish is to create Unique Fragrances – like the original Fragrance Houses of Old
- An in-house Perfumer, that is unencumbered by the restrictions of mass consumerism, and is allowed to recreate the ‘artistry of the unique’ in luxury fragrances.
- Limited Availability – not on sale in every shop, store and airport worldwide.
- Art and Creativity – like Painters, Poets, Writers, Chefs, Wine Makers, Gardner’s, Designers, as the founder of PAIRFUM London Huib Maat said “Who would want to create a copy of the same thing again and again if they have the ability and creativity to create an original? – no true Artist would”
- The use of Natural, Unusual or Unique Perfumery ingredients and Accords, i.e. note combinations.
- Selective approach to Distribution – not available everywhere
- A different approach to PR & Marketing – where the best form of advertising is – through ‘Word of Mouth’ passed from one Fragrance Aficionado to another ( and with a little help from the right type of Magazine article)…
- With the attention to detail given to the creation of a Niche Perfume, it assures the wearer that the Perfume is of the highest quality.
- Something that is rare is always more precious – Clientele will seek out and love something different – because we were born unique – so why not celebrate it..
- Not owned by a global, multi-national Corporation or produced on a large scale factory floor but in small batches and independently owned.
Keep these in mind when shopping for Niche Fragrances.
Pairfum London’s in-house Perfumer Huib Maat created our collection of Natural Eau de Parfum Intense and we also introduced the Perfume Experience Box to try and sample these exquisite creations.